Monday, November 24, 2008

Contacting Teachers Outside of the Area

I actually contacted a few teachers because I wasn't sure if they were actually going to respond back. However, I was so impressed that every single one I emailed responded within 2 days. I found this really amazing because I know teachers are so busy with their classrooms and I made it clear I was only a student. This was inspiring because I feel like when I am actually teaching, communicating with other teachers is only an email away. Since I had a few responses, I figured I'd just post them to my blog for everyone to read. Here was our communication. I contacted all the teachers through a chat board at Teachers.net.

My name is Virginia Grant and I'm an Elementary Ed student at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama, USA. I am currently taking and Educational Technology class and we were asked to establish contact with a teacher outside of our region. Ultimately, I believe this lesson is to have us use the internet and chatboards to introduce the idea of penpals for our students when we graduate. I'm sure you are extremely busy but if you wouldn't mind writing me a quick email with ways that you incorporate technology in the classroom I would be extremely grateful. Also, have you gotten any responses on your request for penpals? I'm sure your students would love that. Thank you for your time.

RESPONSE #1
I teach a self contained classroom of 17 students. I am looking for a 4th or 5th grade class to be pen pals with. My kids are very excited about this and we are looking forward to finding some penpals.

RESPONSE #2
I've gotten 2 responses so far for pen pals. We are located in southern
Georgia, and they are located in Arkansas and California (if I remember
right). We've only emailed back and forth once so far. I plan on doing
this via snail mail. As far as using technology in my classroom, I'm
very blessed to be in a county that values technology so much. Every
class in my school has a Smartboard with projector and a CPS system
(Classroom Performance System.) I use my Smartboard absolutely everyday
and I use the CPS weekly. I have 6 computers in my room, and students
use them different projects, group activities, taking AR tests, etc.
I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can. :)

RESPONSE #3
Yes, I got a reply from Maryland for pen pals. We are working on our letters already.

RESPONSE #4
I am just starting this teaching job, first official day will be December 1st. Not sure how I will integrate technology in the class. I will help you if I can be of any help/ also let me know if you have any suggestions. I will be out of town until thanksgiving without very much internet availability. Take care, best of luck

RESPONSE #5
Hi Virginia.
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but these are ways I use technology in my room.

-we use the internet/interactive CD that came with our new math textbooks to introduce new concepts

-use Discovery Education/United Streaming to show videos to reinforce concepts learned

-Elmo/projector- i have the students come up and work on it

-We make powerpoints at the end of the school year, and they learn how to incorporate pictures from the internet to put in their project

-we use studyisland.com together in small groups on the computer and put it through the projector so they can all see

I hope that helps? I have had 1 person respond, and by the time i got back to them the next day, they had already hooked up with someone else, so we still dont have a pen pal yet.

RESPONSE #6
Virginia, hi!

My English isn't as good as I wish it was, but I'll try to help anyway.
I incorporate technology in my class a lot, I think. We have 3 digital
cameras and children take photos almost every day, than we look it together
and talk. I have children stories on Power Point sometimes. I also use lap
top... computer in suitcase :) on which I have music I make my preparations
for school. We use digital camera (for DVD), but not a lot. That is about
all.
Yes I got a response form y request-5 people, all from USA. From Texas, 2
from New York, and Chicago. Now we communicate through email, but I wish we
will write to each other too.
So I hope I helped you a bit... if you want to know anything else, just say.
All luck on your University.
Take care

No comments: