Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Math with Technology

In Episode One, Judy Chandler talks about how technology is useful to math teachers. She says that many math teachers feel they don't need to integrate technology into their classroom. They say that they don't have the time, or that most of their students are doing fine so whats the need? However, Chandler insists that it is essential to use technology to teach math. She says that it is one of the six critical principles of a high quality education. Students come to us already using technolyg as a daily tool. Technolgy, integrated with pedagogy and content knowlege offers students an investigative approach. It also helps teach to alternative learning styles. She says that by using technolgy, you actually increase your instructional mintues and can cover up to five textbook lessons in one session.

In Episode Two, Chandler talks about thinking mathmatically. This episode was mainly based on the importance of asking students meaningful questions about math. Teaching math the traditional textbook way causes many students to memorize and forget or to disengage all together. By using technology in math, students are provided with hands-on experiences, they are engaged in what they are doing. Asking students meaningful questions leads to critical thinking. Students begin to connect ideas and investigate concepts. This leads to deeper concept development and helps perpare students for more learning.

I have always claimed to hate math, I think so much of this came from being bored with it. I made decent grades but it was because I memorized what I needed to know and used it on the test, then forgot it. However, the next year when I was asked to build on what I'd learned I struggled because I never truly understood what I was doing. This led to getting college math classes over with as soon as possible and hoping to never have to do it again. The point of this story is that had I been more engaged in what I was doing, I may have taken more of an interest in math. Had I been challenged to explain what I was doing, rather than just burping it back on the test my base would have been stronger. I think this is true of many students when it comes to math. We are taught to believe either you get it, or you don't. I think technology can help with this. Students think technology is cool, and you can teach concepts with out the traditional textbook ways. This makes students look forward to math. I think here in the US we have a long way to go in the math department, but it starts with reaching students young and engaging them.

No comments: