Monday, September 22, 2008

The Best of the Fischbowl- July 2007

The Best of the Fischbowl, July 2007 post talks about Fisch's experience at the NECC conference. The blog reflects on the fact that while the conference was a great experience, it was adults sitting around talking about what's best for students. there weren't students present to add their input on whats best for them. Fisch says, "I can’t help but wonder how much more powerful it would be to have students involved in these discussions as well. Particularly at my level – high school – I believe student voices would add a ton."

I think Fisch is correct. So many times students are left out of decisions that impact them. I think that if students are given more authority and decision making within a school their experience is more beneficial. Students have valuable ideas, and while adults may think they know what is best, many times adult decisions are distant from those students would prefer. I believe this creates a wider gap between teachers and students.

One comment left on the blog suggested having students Skype into the the conference and add their opinion and that way they are "virtually" present. Fisch agreed this is a good idea but still not the same as students being present. However, I think it brings up a good idea.

No comments: