Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wikipedia

After reading the three assigned articles I was shocked. I always assumed Wikipedia was a trusty reliable online encyclopedia. I have personally used and quoted Wikipedia in many research papers for school. It amazes me that none of my teachers have read these articles and decided to not accept Wikipedia as a source.

While I'm sure that most of the information is correct, the fact that it can be edited by anyone still makes it somewhat unreliable. According to NPR, "It isn't illegal. The whole point of the online encyclopedia is that it is collaborative and multi-sourced. Wikipedia calls itself "the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit," which is another way of saying it is not fact-checked." I wasn't aware of this. I assumed an online encyclopedia was as reliable as a book encyclopedia.

No comments: