Sunday, September 7, 2008

Shift Happens

Watching the "Shift Happens" video amazed and scared me at the same time. It also made me so thankful that I'm taking this class. While I consider myself "computer literate" I'm learning so many things just in the first few weeks of this class that I never knew existed. These are vital tools that I will be using in the classroom to help ensure my students are receiving a 21st Century education.

I think many times we are scared of change. I'm hesitant to try new things that I'm uncomfortable with and I think the same is true for many of today's teachers. However, this video proves that there needs to be a shift in the way we use technology in the classroom. So much of today's world is dependent on computers and technology. If used appropriately, this is a vital tool and resource for today's students. The statistics prove students are using technology such as texting, myspace, and youtube at rates that ten years ago were unimaginable. Our job is to teach them how to use technology to enhance education. Also, to help them see the value of having a machine that is smarter than a human right at their finger tips.

No comments: